Isle of Eigg, 19th-21st May 2011

We planned a 5-day trip to the Isle of Eigg. It was not entirely successful, but not a write-off either as it's a wonderful wee island...

 

Leaving Mallaig on the Small Isles ferry

 

Approaching the Isle of Eigg, the prow of An Sgurr standing proud

 

Arriving at Eigg. The weather was windy and very changeable, with heavy showers and sunny spells in between

 

We had hired bikes and a trailer to allow us to shuttle back and forth, as we were staying in Cleadale, at the North end of the island's road

 

The fire station

 

The isle of Rum from Bhealaich Chlithe

 

At Tigh an Sithean, where we were staying, in a basic 'cocoon' hut - which would have been ideal if the weather had sbeen a bit better. The pinnacle above is known locally as the 'Finger of God'

 

Views across to Rum

 

Bluebells and the cliffs above Cleadale

 

We made a trip to the Singing Sands beach - but it was damp, so the sands did not sing for us. There were many interesting rock formations to see, though

 

Concretion

 

Slit

 

Unusual weathering

 

Fossil shells

 

Colourful weathering

 

Coal (fossil wood)

 

Heading back

 

In the morning the weather continued to be unsettled and windy. We were surprised to see a small tornado form over the Sound of Rum (just above and left of the centre here)

 

Closer view

 

It only lasted a minute or two before dispersing. As it broke up, the tube up the middle briefly became visible

 

After lunch in the café at the pier we decided this might be our only chance to get up An Sgurr. It was very windy, but otherwise not too bad

 

The wind was too strong for us to take the kids up top, so we took turns to wait to the North of the summit ridge while the other nipped up to the summit

 

The views were great between the heavy rain and hail showers, but it was hard to stand upright at times. The Isle of Rum is in the background here

 

Descending through the woods, laden with drookit weans!

There was a storm forecast for Monday, when we were due to leave, and a lot of rain for Saturday and Sunday. We decided it wasn't worth staying in such poor weather, and likely getting stuck ont he island for a day or two extra until the ferry could run again. We would leave on the Saturday ferry instead if it was running

 

Sunset over Rum

 

Saturday was a bit dreich. We based ourselves in the café and listened to updates on the ferry. Due to the wind it had to reroute on its way from Canna, and could not land on Muck at all, but it did make it to Eigg. It was time for us to retreat.

We'll go back sometime when the weather's better!

 

Back to Spring 2011 page

Back to Hills, Mountains and General Outdoors Stuff